Thursday, March 6, 2008

HUGE VICTORY FOR UTAH CATS AND DOGS!!!

I Have been waiting for the better part of 10 years for animal abuse and torture to be a felony in Utah and this week the bill was finally passed! Woo Hoo!!! As most people know, I had wanted to be a Veterinarian most my life and I worked as a Vet Tech for almost 6 years.

The downfall is that the bill only covers cats and dogs so the rest of the animals are still only prosecuted as Misdemeanors (Is that spelled right?), but if someone is convicted of animal abuse/torture, its a felony on the very first offense. There is also protection for Veterinarians who turn in a person for animal abuse. There are now only 6 other states that have yet to make animal abuse a felony offense.

The very cool thing is that today, while at Judge High School's baseball practice, I met a man named Dave (I wish I remembered his last name) and we got to talking about the bill. He looked at us and said "Yeah, that was my bill". I know I sound like a geek, but I got to actually meet the man that made it all happen! I wish I would have given him a big hug, but I did tell him I loved him and Thank You!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

That is SUCH great news that the bill passed.

The picture of the pug is adorable!

Anonymous said...

The pic of the dog is FANTASTIC!!
Love it!

:)